Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Busy Day in the Desert

Early start on the west side of Tortugas Mountain
Just after we descended the single-track on Tortugas's west side and had begun to climb up to the low mesa beyond the valley Becca and I were startled by the loud howling of a Coyote.  It seemed slightly anxious, but it didn't quickly move away, as many coyotes often do.  We soon discovered why; it was a mother concerned about her adolescent pup who was slightly further west.  When she caught up with the youngster the two lingered long enough for me to get a couple of good photos of them before they rapidly departed.  After a little more exploring--including bushwhacking over to a distant arroyo where massive bouquets of Woolly Paperflower were blooming--we started back along the Cross Cut Trail and immediately kicked up a bird I thought was a hawk.  I saw where it landed, and I was able to take some long telephoto shots of it.  Turned out to be a Great Horned Owl.  We tried to sneak up on it for a few closeups, but Old Great Horned was having none of it.  When we got too close the owl took off again.
Early break

Coyote mother (I would soon learn)

She seems slightly anxious, but in no hurry to leave

She's been keeping an eye on Becca and me

She's doing an awful lot of howling

Cactus Wren

Now we see why Mom was agitated: youngster and Mom

Wish this shot had come out better

Artsy version

Where you going, Mom?

Dayflower

Huge mass of Wolly Paperflowers

Two large bouquets of Woolly Paperflower in an arroyo west of Tortugas

Becca in the shadow of Woolly Paperflowers

When we first kicked up this bird I thought it was a hawk

Because I saw where it landed I was able to get long-distance images of it

It's a Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus)

Great Horned Owl's profile pic

A very late blooming Ocotillo

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Packrat, you and Becca lucked out this morning in seeing the coyotes and the great horned owl. Bushwhacking sure has its advantages.

The Low High Country

Morning sky Dr. K, Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, headed back home and finished packing for our trip to the high country, w...