Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, August 22, 2019

A Hard, Hard Hike

How do I make it clear to you . . .
What made today's hike so hard was not that I was hiking without Becca, it was the understanding that--at least in this lifetime--I would never hike with her again.  It's hard to believe she's really gone.

I couldn't begin to calculate the number of treks she and I did together (as well as those with Dr. K) over the thirteen years of her life.  With the exception of a few--and here I'm reminded of one frantic two-mile descent with Becca and Dr. K through a raging lightning storm in the Sacramento Mountain's Apple Tree Canyon--we enjoyed every one.  We've had other dogs (Sarah and Parker) who enjoyed hiking, but neither of them had as much passion for trekking as Becca did.  As we grew old together we somehow managed to maintain our love for hiking in the desert.  I even took her on a short hike two days before her passing.
. . . that I don't want my picture taken?

On the flank trail

Until I say differently, these are all along the upper foothills trail








Starting down into the lower desert

Rugged desert between here and the Organ Mountains

Outer loop trail

Wandering Glider Dragonfly

Nipple Beehive Cactus buds

Barrel Cactus buds

House Finch

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful photos, Packrat. And such lovely words about our dearest Becca.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...