Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, August 24, 2019

After a Desert Deluge

Approaching Tortugas Mountain from the north
Last night's intense storm not only knocked our power out briefly, but I discovered this morning that the force of the water flowing down the arroyo beside our house had toppled the four boulders I had positioned (with the help of my neighbor and his front end loader) to prevent kids from driving up the "wash" with their ATVs.

There was evidence out west of Tortugas Mountain as well that the deluge had caused heavy water to flow; all the major arroyos showed it, and large puddles had pooled in spots along the loop trail.

I took an extra long hike today in an area Becca and I had roamed in the past, thinking, as I did, that she and I may not have explored every square inch of desert out there, but we came close.  I miss her canine enthusiasm for exploration.

On the return trip I ran into my good friend Jimmy, who expressed his deep sorrow about Becca's demise, and I reminded him--not that he needed reminding--about how much Becca loved encountering him out in the desert.  He loved her, too.  He and I talked a good long while under the desert sun, both of us complaining a bit about the high humidity.  Then we went our separate ways. 
Back of the mountain

Clockwise around the mountain

Down the upper loop trail

Franklin Mountains near El Paso on the horizon

Sotol and Torrey Yucca

Southern section of the Organ Mountains

Ocotillos and the Organ

Long-distance shot of a Red-tailed Hawk

Hummer and Hawk

Two hikers on the loop trail behind Tortugas Mountain

Way out on the road west of Tortugas Mountain

Evidence of water flow in a major arroyo west of the mountain

Geez, I don't know; maybe Cloudless Sulphur?

The arroyos were flowing last night

Coyote passed through here recently

The arroyo I explored this morning

Haven't ID'd this yet

This and the next:  same arroyo west of the mountain


Climbing Milkweed

In the arroyo heading back toward the mountain

Barrel Cactus

Large puddles from last night's rain on the loop trail

Mountain bikers

Water flow in the arroyo beside our house knocked our boulders over

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Great photos of the red-tailed hawk. That was quite a drenching we had--a real summer thunderstorm.

Midweek Trek

1st 11 images:  Swainson's Hawk atop Torrey Yucca We did our normal hike this morning, adding extra distance by bushwhacking over toward...