Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, August 3, 2019

A Walk Around the Block

Gambel's Quail (male)
I decided to give Becca and me a day off from desert hiking, instead taking her up the arroyo beside our house for her morning constitutional and then walking with her around the long block in our neighborhood.  As soon as we started off we ran into a neighbor, Sandra, and her new dog, Daisy, the cutest and friendliest little poodle(?) mix we've ever met.  Becca and Daisy have encountered each other several times before, and they really get on well.  They played while Sandra and I talked for about ten minutes.

Then we set off on the longish walk, and I immediately recalled what I've known for a long time:  walking on asphalt pavement is not good for my back.  I had a back doctor tell me years ago that hiking on the uneven surfaces out in the desert is actually better for the spinal column.  Well, we won't be making it a habit to walk around the neighborhood, already planning for an early morning Sunday hike.
Same quail as above

Becca wondering why we're not doing a desert hike

Red Yucca

Adolescent Gambel's Quail on plastic chair

This and the next 2:  Gambel's Quails



Final 2:  Desert Cottontail drinking from the cooler's bleeder line

#2

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Cute photos of the quail, especially the one where several of them are on the white lawn chair. Make me smile!

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...