Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Soledad Solo

Entrada
Because Becca couldn't go on a hike today Dr. K volunteered to stay behind with her, and I headed up to Soledad Canyon in Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument for an early morning trek.  There was only one truck in the parking lot when I got there, and I spotted two hikers way ahead of me when I hit the Bar Canyon Loop Trail.

The canyon was really beautiful this morning, the clouds and light making for good photography conditions.  Insanely enough I took 130 shots, many of which were easily discardable.  I was hoping to spot some deer during my trek, but all I saw was deer scat.

On the way out I encountered three pairs of hikers, the first a young man and woman who asked if I'd do a favor and take a photo of them with the woman's iPhone.  I took two, and they seemed satisfied with the results.

Because of the intermittent cloud cover it wasn't as hot out there this morning as it could have been considering we're headed for another 100-degree day.
The trail





Globe Mallow

Rainbow Hedgehog Cactus




Compare Sotol at left (10') with those near the cliffs for a sense of distance







Picacho Peak (left-center middle distance) from the Organ Mountains


Observatory atop Tortugas Mountain from the Organs

Tortugas Mountain w/observatory and Florida Mountains 50 miles distant


Small Fishhook Barrel Cactus







Whitethorn Acacia and The Chimney

Don't know what this is

Apache Plume flowers

Heading out








Unhappy Becca

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I love the photos of the sotols and the sun breaking over the mountains.

The Wilster and Me

Organ Mountains from Baylor Canyon Road We had to wait for a plumber from Sun City Plumbing to change out the hose bib next to the garage; f...