Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, November 11, 2023

Bad Heelers, Good Heelers

LDR
Dr. K attended an American Association of University Women meeting this morning so I was on my own with Frio and Willow.

We did a different hike because someone in a small white compact car was parked at the trailhead where we usually start.  We descended LDR and had nearly reached the Tellbrook Arroyo when the guy in the black side-by-side turned up the dirt road heading in our direction.  I got the Heelers far enough off the road, but they still went feral on me when the guy's dog barked at them.  I said good morning to the guy and then struggled to keep my dogs in check.  Boy was I pissed at them.

Not long after crossing the Tellbrook Arroyo I let the dogs off lead in order to prevent further trauma to my arms and shoulders.  They were semi-wild exploring the desert, but they kept an eye on my whereabouts and came to me whenever I summoned them.  I even hid from them several times and they found me without trouble.  I felt good about their behavior then, but I kept hoping a coyote or two wouldn't pop up unannounced.

By the time we reached home I was only half-pissed off at our cattle dogs.

Cloudy Organs

Fishhook Barrel Cactus

Soaptree Yucca and the mountains

LDR looking south

Tortugas and the Organs

This & next:  exploring side arroyos


This & next 2:  the "O"s in a side arroyo



This & next:  same Soaptree Yuccas different zoom


Bushwhacking

This & next 3:  Come!




Last 2:  nearly the same view of Tortugas and the Organs


 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Sorry our Heelers misbehaved. You still got some cute photos of them.

Rim Trail Trek

Just starting off on Rim Trail 105 this morning We decided to drive to Sunspot and hike the Rim Trail which starts near the Apache Point tur...