Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, June 8, 2014

T'other Side

Weathered concrete with metal bars
Despite the heat Dr. K, Becca and I did a long hike out of the Monte Vista area on Tortugas's east side.  After about a mile we spotted something we'd not seen before:  a weathered concrete block with metal bars that must have been an integral part of the mining operation carried out at that spot.  I'm not sure exactly what kind of ore was mined, but there's evidence of the activity all over the area; I've read that flourite mines dot the side of the mountain, but I've never examined the sites up close to see if I could find any pieces of the mineral.
Part of the old mining operation on the east side of Tortugas Mountain

Looking south toward Bishop Cap and the Franklin Mountains

Circling around the back side of the mountain

Becca and Dr. K

Trail through a deep arroyo

Hazy Organ Mountains (right)

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

Fortunately there's no mining going on right now.

Scott said...

The images don't make it look hot. Dr. K doesn't look wilted, after all. But, I'll take your word for it.

packrat said...

Scott:

Dr. K likes the heat WAY more than I do. She's a native Tucsonan after all.

Bad Day All Around

Rest in peace, best male heeler ever.  Our beloved Frio The first thing we did this morning was to take Frio to the vet to put him out of hi...