Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

♪ We're Having a Heatwave ♪

Almost too hot to take photos
We were 105 F yesterday, setting a record.  El Paso was 109 F, also setting a record.  We're after another record today:  heading for a high of 106 F.  Although it was in the mid-70s when Becca and I got out on the trail west of Tortugas it felt pretty hot already.  Fortunately, there was a breeze to moderate the heat.  When we got back to the car at 9:30, after a fairly-long trek, the temperature had risen substantially.  When we got home I did a little yard work in our backyard.  Too hot to accomplish much, though.
Becca's tongue length is a thermometer of sorts

Looking through a hot window at home at a hotter desert yard

3 comments:

Scott said...

I really sympathize with you, Packrat, Dr. K, and Becca. You all must be miserable.

The hottest environment in which I have ever found myself was in the summer in the desert outside Palm Springs, CA a few years ago. It was late afternoon and I was walking a very short stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail. It was 114 degrees and I was miserable. I can easily see how illegal aliens crossing from Mexico into the desert in Arizona could die.

Dr. K said...

That kind of extreme heat can be deadly.

packrat said...

It is miserable, Scott. We very rarely have this string of century-mark days, and we don't like it. Might as well be living in Phoenix--which we did in the past. I remember a day when Dr. K and I were biking home from Arizona State University, and it was 117 degrees. We had to stop in a park under some shady trees because we were both feeling dizzy.

Bad Day All Around

Rest in peace, best male heeler ever.  Our beloved Frio The first thing we did this morning was to take Frio to the vet to put him out of hi...