Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, November 2, 2015

Wupatki


No regular blog post today because I spent an hour-and-a-half in the dentist's chair this morning having work done for a three-tooth bridge.  Becca was fortunate that Dr. K could take her on a long trek.

Since I've just begun the tedious process of converting hundreds of my slides (I have thousands) to digital images, I thought I'd upload my first effort here:  an image I took of ruins at Wupatki National Monument in northern Arizona yeas ago.  Dr. K and I were living in Prescott then, and I was teaching at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.  My recollection is that the pueblo buildings at Wupatki were built by the Sinaqua people, who experienced a boon in agricultural after the eruption of Sunset Crater (circa 1065 A.D.)  The lava pumice created ideal conditions for growing crops.  We visited Wupatki National Monument plenty of times to revel in the beauty of the high desert and to soak up the cultural history of the area as presented in the visitor center.  I even wrote a short story--"Have You Seen Me?"--about a woman forest ranger stationed there.


2 comments:

Dr. K said...

This photo brings many memories back of the beauty of the northern Arizona landscape.

Scott said...

Been there; loved that.

Friday Free-For-All

Soaptree Yucca at the side of LDR-A We got an early start this morning, but not as early as the Basset people and their hounds who we spotte...