Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Replenishment

Yucca and Picacho "Peak"
I shortened the hike this morning so I could go shopping at Target and Albertsons before those stores got too crowded.  During our trek Becca and I ran into the man and woman who hike with their German Shepherd.  They're very nice people.  The woman asked if Becca's leg was okay, and then said they were glad to see us out there.  I said, "I'm glad to see you guys, too."  Then I immediately regretted my choice of the word "guys."  I'm sure it was no big deal, but I often worry that a woman won't take kindly to being called a "guy."  I know I wouldn't have been too happy had the woman said to Becca and me, "Glad to see you two girls out here."
Look at all the Soaptree Yuccas in bloom

We're headed for higher ground

Cactus Wren in a yucca

Near the low point on the single-track

So that's where the beautiful song is coming from

Soaptree Yuccas and Tortugas Mountain

Ocotillo leaves

Serpent detour

Open sesame

Soaptree Yuccas in bloom everywhere

Odd-shaped flower stalk

Just west of the mountain

Closeup of the above flower stalks

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

We're getting to the time when we begin to see lots of snake trails and holes in the desert. I'm hopeful, though, that we won't see too many of the snakes themselves.

Low Country and then High

This & next:  Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal) Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, returning afterward to finish packing fo...