Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, November 22, 2019

Bushwhack Bonanza Today

First 4:  sky at start
A long bushwhack paid off for me this morning as I was lucky enough to see a few critters I've been hoping to see of late, especially the Coyote that I spooked heading back on the single-track up the west side of Tortugas.

The Great Horned Owl was a real treat.  I had, unknowingly, closed to within 10 yards of it before it flew out of a Soaptree Yucca, startling me.  I lucked out in that it landed in a Mesquite Tree in the wide arroyo bottom west of the mountain, and I was able to slowly creep toward it while taking photos.  I pulled up a bit shorter than I would have liked, however, simply because I didn't want to chase it off.

On the penultimate leg of my trek I ran into my pal Jimmy, and he and I chatted for a good long while.  I didn't get home until a few minutes before 11, which is about an hour later than I usually get back.  No problem, though, because I always enjoy talking to Jimmy.



Splat of clouds on the Organ Mountains

The ears have it

Suspicious look

Noble pose

Heading southwest

Torrey Yuccas

Follow this road

Cactus Wren

Yuccas west of the mountain

Village of Talavera at the base of the Organ Mountains

This and the next:  dusting of snow on the Organs


The long view

Barrel Cactus

This and the next 4:  Great Horned Owl





This and the next:  bushwhacking far west of Tortugas


Hedgehog Cactus

Another Jackrabbit

Coyote who took off when seeing me

Still on the move

First look back at me

Focusing on something else

Second look at me

What's over there?

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

So many beautiful photos today, Packrat. That owl's face is so amazing, especially the eyes.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...