Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Beautiful Saturday

First 3:  wild clouds at start
I intended to do a long trek west of the mountain this morning--replete with much bushwhacking--but my plans were almost thwarted by some trigger-happy fool with a semi-automatic weapon who was popping off rounds as I headed for the outback.  This jerk must have expended 50 or 60 bullets during the short time it took me to reach the southernmost dirt road that leads back to Tortugas.  Ammunition is very expensive these days, and it's hard to imagine someone pissing away money that way.

Fortunately the clown disappeared from the southern mesa as soon as I started down into an oft-visited arroyo.  Nevertheless, I shortened my explorations a bit because of a residual feeling of unease regarding the gunman.  Nowadays it's hard not to imagine the worst when you know somebody is wandering around with a loaded weapon.

Regardless of my trepidation I did a long hike, nonetheless, and I got some good images of the dynamic sky out there on a near-perfect Saturday morning in the northern Chihuahuan Desert.


Just about to slip off the single-track to do some bushwhacking

Hedgehog Cactus

Assorted Chihuahuan Desert flora

More sky

Tortugas and the Organs

This and the next 2:  Barrel Cacti



Changeable sky this morning

This and the next 4:  bushwhacking over to that big old Torrey Yucca





Soaptree Yucca

More distant view of Tortugas and the Organs

Having a look back along the road west

Flank of Tortugas and the Organs

Heading back just west of Tortugas Mountain

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I like the different angles in the photos of the Torrey Yucca.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...