Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Gloomy and Cold

First 6:  sun through heavy cloud cover
Got an early start on a gloomy and very cold morning today, and I ended up bushwhacking far further than I had planned.  Although the lighting wasn't the best for photography I got some good shots, especially a few of a Ladder-backed Woodpecker who was pecking away at Soaptree Yucca stalks in a major arroyo west of Tortugas Mountain.

On my way back in, just as I was about to reach the road near the old white shack, I got a phone call from my pal Jimmy, who asked if I'd mind waiting for him.  He was coming down from the mountaintop and had spotted me crossing the single-track trail across the western flank.  After a few minutes he caught up to me and we hiked back to the Sunset Area together.  It was too cold to stand chatting so we parted ways, wishing each other a Happy Thanksgiving.





Embarrassed Prickly Pear Cactus pad

Halo around the sun

This and the next:  ever-larger sun


Organ Mountain from west of Tortugas Mountain

Wide arroyo

Soaptree Yucca stalks

This and the next 2:  Ladder-backed Woodpecker



Soaptree Yucca west of Tortugas

Home Sweet Home

Probably a Cactus Wren nest

Another Soaptree

Mesquite/fallen Soaptree/Soaptree Yucca

Arroyo running out of Tortugas Mountain

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Great photos for such a gloomy day. I especially like the one with the halo around the sun.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...