Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, May 6, 2022

All In For Hawk

Just getting started on a warm Friday morning
Because there were two women hiking with a white and a black Lab near us when we got out of the CR-V the Heelers and I descended the hill next to the upper flatland road into Right Branch Arroyo and trekked all the way down to the Tellbrook Arroyo.  I could see the women and their canine companions heading up LDR.

Because I spotted the Swainson's Hawk on his usual perch I decided we would finally bushwhack over close to him to see if I could get some decent images.  He was very patient with us as we approached, and he didn't take off until we were fairly near.  After that we had to find a way back over to the Left Branch Arroyo, which we did with ease because we'd hiked that route before.  I felt a bit anxious about bushwhacking through grass because rattlers are out and about, but Willow was a great pathfinder, and I kept Mr. Frio behind me most of the way.

When I began photo-editing my images after we got home I was disappointed with the images of the hawk.  I'll have to try again another day.

Flowering Prickly Pear

This & next:   Swainson's Hawk was on his usual perch


Serious bushwhacking to photograph the hawk

Not a great image

Willow and Frio taking a bushwhack break

This & next:  Swainson's Hawk


The long view

This & next:  Black-chinned Hummer


This & next:  two more long views


Frio and Willow on break in Right Branch Arroyo

Flowering Prickly Pear

Tortugas and the Organs

This & next 2:  Black-throated Sparrow eating Ocotillo fruit



Tortugas and the Organ Mountains

 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Those photos of the Black-throated Sparrow eating the red Ocotillo flowers are so good, Packrat.

Rim Trail Trek

Just starting off on Rim Trail 105 this morning We decided to drive to Sunspot and hike the Rim Trail which starts near the Apache Point tur...