Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, August 15, 2008

Exploring the Outback


We spent a lot of time south of Tortugas Mountain this morning doing field research. Wasn't it Thoreau who dubbed himself the "self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms"? Well, Research Associate Becca and I are self-appointed inspectors of dust storms and desert flowers. The one at left is, I believe, Desert Bahia, though I'm just an inspector, not an expert.
We came across this soft and cuddly mass of hedgehog cactus on the mountain's flank.
The dirt road looks as if it may go all the way down to the area between Bishop's Cap and the Franklin Mountains, but it doesn't.
This bird was enjoying a moment of relaxation on the dagger-like leaf of a yucca.
Looking northeast at the trail that wraps around Tortugas Mountain.

No comments:

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...