Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, August 11, 2008

A View, A Poop, and A Flower


A very cool and overcast morning found Research Associate Becca and I plying the Tortugas Mountain trail on the west side. Desert plant life has been incredibly abundant this summer, as this vista will attest.
Although Becca is the expert on animal scat, I was the one who photographed this specimen, which could be from a fox. Although a rather small depost--each piece about two inches long--it might be coyote scat. The piece on the right appears to have a bit of prickly pear in it, and I know that coyotes eat prickly pears. Perhaps foxes do, too.
This last photo shows a beautiful orange flower that I believe to be a globemallow, but I'm not certain. Juniper Globemallow, perhaps?

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

I believe Research Associate Becca is very good at investigating scat by smelling it. What was her guess about what animal had left it?

Unknown said...

It looks like a dead animal is in there to me...

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...