Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Arctic Blast!

Just starting off
I heard a meteorologist this morning say that an Aleutian high pressure ridge had forced a mass of Arctic air down into the desert Southwest.  And, boy, did it feel like the Arctic--not that I've ever been there.  It wouldn't have been quite so bad had the wind not been howling.  I took only a few photos because it was just too darned cold.  I was eager to get back to the car after an abbreviated hike, but Becca would have stayed out there all day.
Dressed for the cold:  hooded coat over heavy vest, canine fur coat

Devil's Claw

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

I like the shadow in the devil's claw photo.

Scott said...

REALLY nice image of the Devil's Claw, Packrat!

It's raining here today (Wednesday), but the folks north and west a few dozen miles are experiencing the dreaded "wintry mix" of snow, sleet, and rain. Yuck, and double yuck! I wonder if the animals feel that way, too? We've had about a week of dreary days, but the overcast and precipitation are supposed to clear tomorrow through the weekend, though the days will be colder, with the coldest day this season yet predicted for Sunday (a sunny high of 30). I hope it's not windy like it is there.

packrat said...

Thanks Dr. K and Scott.

Scott, that arctic air mass is headed your way, so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't even make 30 on Sunday.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...