Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, January 4, 2013

Desert in Snow 2

A snowy start
The desert looked beautiful under a two-inch blanket of snow this morning.  The Beckster and I did a fairly long hike around Tortugas Mountain.  It wasn't very cold out there, and I was obviously interested in taking as many photos as I could.  How's 75 for a number?  Funny how a coating of the white stuff changes the landscape so thoroughly. 
Casa in snow

An inch of snow on a Torrey Yucca

Ocotillo

Snow Dog on the foothills trail

Torrey Yucca

Soaptree Yucca

Snow on Ocotillo wands

Tortugas Mountain under snow

What do you call this white stuff?

Yucca and Ocotillo in winter



4 comments:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful photos. The snow, cacti, and sky make great images.

Scott said...

"Tortugas Mountain under snow" and the last, untitled, image of the prickly pear with snow are classic. Bravo! It looks great!

packrat said...

Scott and Dr. K: Your compliments are greatly appreciated!

Sandie said...

You're very restrained to have not posted all 75. It looks so very different under snow - the cacti seem somehow 'wrong'.

I wonder, when I see that open space - as I have never been in such a wide expanse of open space, so can only imagine what it feels like - whether it helps expand the mind, or whether it just leaves a person feeling so tiny they contract.

Perhaps a combination of both, depending on mood..??

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...