Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Day After the Hump

Western Kingbird
Most of the photos here are of Strawberry Pitaya Cactus flowers, with the exception of three critters:  two birds and one dog.  The short video is of a Curve-billed Thrasher, in case anybody was too lazy to follow the link I provided yesterday to hear what the song of one sounds like.  A note on the weather:  it was already hot when Becca and I started trekking around Tortugas Mountain.  We're heading for a high of 95 F, which, I believe, will be the highest we've been so far this season.
All of the "ball" mounds here are Strawberry Pitaya Cacti

Like this one blooming out

And this

Natural, unenhanced photo

The true color of Strawberry Pitaya


Respite from the heat



1 comment:

Dr. K said...

It's hard to believe that such vibrant color comes out of the brown cactus.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...