Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Despite the Drought

Hugging Tortugas's western flank
Just the other day Jimmy and I were discussing the drought, commenting on how few yuccas we've seen in bloom, and wondering if the Strawberry Pitaya Cacti would blossom.  Today I was pleased to find quite a few flowers.  It was a good picture day; I caught a Common Nighthawk in flight, took a photo of a Curve-billed Thrasher who was singing his guts out, and photographed Ocotillo flowers and buds.  Under the image of ole Curved Bill is a link to the Cornell Ornithology Lab so you can hear a Curve-billed Thrasher's song.


Which critter brushed against this Soaptree Yucca?

Common Nighthawk in flight

Curve-billed Thrasher on an Ocotillo wand

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Curve-billed_Thrasher/sounds
Burst of color:  Ocotillo flower

These look like chili peppers, but they're Ocotillo buds

More buds

Always time for a shade break

Strawberry Pitaya Cactus flower

Starting to blossom

Inchoate beauty

4 comments:

Dr. K said...

I've never seen close up the markings of the nighthawk--how beautiful they are.

Scott said...

GREAT image of the Common Nighthawk! Bravo! Just this afternoon, I finished editing a paper for a colleague about disappearing Common Nighthawks in the Philadelphia area (they're losing their flat gravel rooftop nesting habitat). Though they are still occasionally seen in the city, I only see them at my preserve during fall (never spring) migration. When they visit for a day or two, I know fall is on its way.

packrat said...

Thanks, Scott. As I've said before the Common Nighthawk is one of the most difficult birds to photograph in flight. They're like day bats, flitting back and forth so rapidly. Sorry to hear about their disappearance in the Philadelphia area.

packrat said...

Dr. K:

As you know from previous photos, when you take a picture of a Nighthawk squatting close to the ground they practically blend into the surface; so it's difficult to get an idea of how beautiful they are.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...