Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, May 17, 2013

Puzzle Solved?

"Cicada nymph chimneys" (Clermont College UC biology department)
Thanks to Eric Eaton ("Bug Eric" at bugeric.blogspot.com) I think I've finally figured out the identity of the "dirt lug nuts" I've discovered several times during my wanderings in the Chihuahuan Desert.  In an email message to me, Eric said, "It might be evidence of where a cicada nymph emerged from underground.  The periodical cicada nymphs often make 'chimneys' when they dig themselves out." Googling "cicada nymph chimneys" I quickly found the image at left from Clermont College, a photo of said "chimneys."  Eureka!
What I referred to as a "dirt lug nut"

The size of a dirt lug nut, aka "cicada nymph chimney"

4 comments:

Dr. K said...

Cicada nymph chimney--very interesting, Packrat.

Scott said...

I didn't know you had cicadas in the desert, Packrat. Aren't I glad I stopped by today! I'll pass along the information to my entomologist friend.

packrat said...

Oh, we have the googly-eyed little buggers, Scott. They're often harbingers of the "moonsoon" season here in the desert Southwest. And thank your friend for me, please.

packrat said...

That would be "monsoon" not "moonsoon."

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...