Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, May 13, 2013

Swamp Cooler Day

Out on the trail briefly
I had to shorten our hike this morning in order to get back and get our evaporative cooler ready for the heatwave that's just around the corner.  We're supposed to be in the mid-90s by midweek.  I had to buy new cooler pads for our MasterCool 2:  $84, carry them up to the roof and exchange old for new.  I've got the "swamp cooler" running now, but I can tell that I'm going to have to replace the bleeder line because water isn't "bleeding off" quickly enough.  Took the flower photos and the quail pics here at the ranch.
Pricly Pear Cactus flowers at the homestead

Full of pollen

Beautiful yellow hue

Baby Quail at the watering hole

Parent and peepers

Dad, Mom and some of the clan

4 comments:

Dr. K said...

What cute baby quail and quail family.

Scott said...

My relatives in San Diego reported miserable mid-90 temperatures last weekend, so I guess that's what's headed your way! Ouch!

In contrast, last night I was afraid we'd get a frost. Mother's Day is the traditional "safe date" for planting tender vegetables, and I planted my tomatoes and basil on Mother's Day--only to freak out when I heard how cold it might get last night. Every time the furnace came on, I woke up and thought, "That's it; they're done for!" But, thankfully, it was 39 when I awoke this morning, with no hint of frost.

The quail are sooo cute! No Bobwhites here--the foxes, coyotes or raccoons get them all. I haven't seen one in 25 years.

packrat said...

Hate to hear that about the Bobwhites, Scott. 25 years without seeing any! Amazing. Sounds as if your veggies will survive.

Caroline said...

I love the photos of the baby quail! And I remember helping turn on theswamp cooler once, years and years ago....

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...