Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, May 20, 2013

Packrat's Got Some Brand New Boots


Scouting the trail ahead
(Sung to the tune of "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag.")

For years I've been a Merrell and/or High-Tec boot man, but my friend, Jimmy, recommended Keen Boots, and I bought this pair.  After wearing them around the hacienda for a few days I took them out for their first spin in the desert this morning.  Very nice boot--comfortable and supportive.  After smelling them once when I removed them from the box, Becca has lost all interest in them.  She loves those desert smells, though.
Keen Targhee II Mid Waterproof

Keen print in the sand

Plants that exist in sandy soil:  Ocotillos, Yuccas, Cresote Bush

On the alert for pesky flies

This Soaptree Yucca reminds me a an Apache Crown Dancer's headdress

This plant smells like perfume.  Not

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

I bet you'll get a lot of miles out of those boots, Packrat.

Scott said...

Apache Crown Dancer headdress indeed! Good eye...

I have probably owned a half-dozen pairs of hiking boots in my life, not a single one of which would I consider comfortable even after years of use when they should be well broken-in and fit me like a glove. My first pair, a pair of all-leather Vasques, gave me blisters until they finally gave up the ghost when they were covered with green mold. Even my current pair, after years of use, still gives me blisters and hot spots. Kali's boots are even worse; her feet are narrow and hard to fit, and she'll develop blisters from a walk as short as 6 miles. I don't know what it is, though the fact that we don't wear them very often probably contributes to the problems.

Hope you remain blister-free!

packrat said...

Scott, my feet are so leathery from all the desert hiking I've done I could probably hike without boots.

:)

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...