Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, September 9, 2013

A Hint of Fall

A very happy hiker
Franklin Mountains near El Paso in the distant background
The breeze this morning had the very slightest tinge of autumn in it, and yellow leaves on the Ocotillos signal a change of season.  The penultimate image here, which I've labeled "Dirt circle," is the impression left by a rattlesnake who had curled up to sleep.  At least that's my theory.  What argues against my theory, though, is the lack of clear tracks to indicate the snake's progression to and away from the circle.  None of the experts I've asked so far have been able to give me a definitive explanation for the phenomenon.
Surprisingly late-blooming Ocotillo (many leaves are already yellow)

A sandy arroyo

Tortugas Mountain behind the Ocotillos

Water in the Chihuahuan Desert

Wind power

Dirt circle:  impression of rattlesnake?

Clear day in the desert


2 comments:

Dr. K said...

I especially like the photo of the sandy arroyo.

Scott said...

I'm telling you, Packrat, there are aliens about... (re: Dirt Circle). This isn't your first "close encounter."

The Wilster and Me

Organ Mountains from Baylor Canyon Road We had to wait for a plumber from Sun City Plumbing to change out the hose bib next to the garage; f...