Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day Crowd

7:40 a.m.  Well within the shadow of Tortugas Mountain
The mountain was really crowded this Labor Day morning, and Becca and I had many pleasant encounters with hikers, bikers and joggers.  We bumped into one middle-aged couple we see on occasion, and we all lamented the proliferation of dove hunters in the desert behind the mountain.  The man said to me, "The BLM has actively promoted this area as a recreation area for hiking, biking and horseback riding, and then they allow hunters to get ridiculously close to the trails."  I told him and his wife that those were my sentiments exactly. 
Inspector Becca

Slalom run down the mountain

The Ocotillos still wear their green garb

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

I'm glad the noise from the shots doesn't bother Becca.

Scott said...

Not too busy or crowed in my preserve yesterday (Labor Day). We had rain in the morning, and then the afternoon stayed humid, so I think it deterred people from walking.

Kali and I walked in the city park downstream of my preserve on Saturday afternoon. It was near 90 degrees, and the humidity was very high. We walked 4 flat miles (trail mileage there is marked, so I know how far we went) and we were soaking wet when we got back to the car. Yuck!

We drove to our favorite peach orchard on Labor Day to get the last of this year's peach harvest. The fellow behind the counter (a new guy I didn't recognize) said he'd just moved back to the area from central Colorado to help care for his aging parents. He said that getting used to the humidity was going to take some doing. Kali turned to me and said, "You're going to love Colorado when we retire, Scott!" Let's hope (1) that I do, and (2) that I make it that long!

packrat said...

I know I've mentioned this before, Scott, but after you've lived in the arid West for years you "definitely" struggle with the humidity back East. In fact, during the monsoon months here the humid months are very taxing on the body. But when you and Kali first move to Colorado you'll scoff at others who complain about the humidity because you've experienced that 90/90 brand of weather: 90 degrees Fahrenheit with 90% humidity.

Low Country and then High

This & next:  Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal) Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, returning afterward to finish packing fo...