Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, September 15, 2013

As Green as it Gets

The ramada at the Monte Vista parking area (east side of Tortugas)
Dr. K, Becca and I did a really long hike this morning: two-thirds of the way around Tortugas and back.  We started at the Monte Vista side of the mountain, circled around behind it and trekked to its far west side.  Then we retraced our steps.  Other outdoor enthusiasts were enjoying the weather, and we encountered several mountain bikers as well as a woman hiker who patted Becca on the head and said to her, "Do you smell my dogs?"  Becca said, "All I can smell is breakfast bacon on your fingers."  I made that last bit up.
Looping around the back of the mountain

Along the south side of Tortugas

Becca bushwhacking toward the midsection of the Organ Mountains

Tortugas's southern flank

On the trail toward the west side of the mountain

In the mountain's shadow

The Organ Mountains on the eastern horizon

Out of the shadow now

A very green desert (take my word for it)

Becca and Packrat on the mountain's west side

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

The light was very beautiful this morning.

Scott said...

It's a loooong walk to the Organs, Becca.

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...