Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

An Absolute Drenching

Dona Ana Mountains behind Centennial High School
Becca and I were a skosh past the midway point of our hike when an enormous thunder clap told us we could be in trouble.  When it started sprinkling I thought we might have a chance to get back to the car before the downpour started.  I was wrong. We had to hike for more than half an hour in pouring rain.  Although there were a few more thunder claps we saw no lightning.  Just as we got close to where we'd parked the car a young woman jogger passed us.  I said, "A little wet, huh?"  She said, "This is fun."  And she meant it.  
I believe this is a type of small sage

Still dry

It's looking very dark on the horizon

The Organ Mountain are to the right of Tortugas Mountain here

The Organ Mountains, totally obscured by rain clouds

Tortugas (Tortoise) Mountain

A soaked Packrat (notice the rainwater running in the background)

A completely soaked Becca

7 comments:

Scott said...

Packrat:

Comment 1: When I used to run (before my right knee gave out on me just over a decade ago), I occasionally would get caught in downpours, too. If you're half way out on a loop run when the rain hits, you might as well enjoy yourself because there's not much you can do about it anyway.

If I were you, I'd have been worried about getting my camera (and/or wallet) soaked by the rain.


Comment 2: I don't know if you subscribe to High Country News, but the feature article in the Sept. 9, 2013, edition deals with grassland bird conservation on both sides of the border in the Chihuahuan Desert. The article is called "Of Sparrows and Sodbusters:
Western and Mexican conservationists race against time to save grasslands -- and the species that depend on them." I believe you have to be a subscriber to read the article online. If you can't get it (and you're interested), I'd be happy to send you a paper copy.

Caroline said...

Becca looks a lot happier than you do!

packrat said...

Scott:

Because I always carry a day pack on our hikes I have an abundant supply of plastic bags for wallet, keys and camera. No problem there.

Thanks for the High Country News tip, and the generous offer to send a copy my way. I did, indeed, read the article. I am a subscriber to both the magazine and the online edition.

packrat said...

Caroline:

I didn't get a chance to smile before Becca snapped the shot of me.

:)

Dr. K said...

As long as she's hiking, Becca doesn't care about getting wet.

Liz Tipping said...

You're a drowned rat here , Pack Rat!

packrat said...

Indeed I am, Five!

Friday Free-For-All

Soaptree Yucca at the side of LDR-A We got an early start this morning, but not as early as the Basset people and their hounds who we spotte...