Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, April 28, 2014

Late April on the Grand View Trail

Flower stalk of the Banana Yucca
It was 43 F when Becca and I headed out for the Grand View Trail this morning.  Dr. K didn't accompany us because she was feeling slightly under the weather.  As you can see from the images here we found quite a few plants of interest.  I'm so perplexed because I'm having trouble identifying the 10-20-foot trees which are flowering in white (images 8, 9 and 10).  I'm guessing it could be Fragrant Ash (Fraxinus), though I've never noticed them in bloom around here.
Closeup of the flowers

Becca on the lookout for critters

8-foot flower stalk of the Soaptree Yucca

Creeping Barberry is blooming all over the mountains

Creeping Barberry

Wild Rose

Blooming tree I haven't been able to ID

Flowers of said tree (could it be Fragrant Ash?)

White flower clusters of un-ID'd tree

Looking down over a steep dropoff

Sand verbena

Flower stalk of a yucca

Soon-to-be flowers

Claret Cup Cactus growing on a cliff wall

Closeup of the aforementioned Claret Cup

More yucca buds

Cliff Fendler Bush

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I like the reddish/purplish color of the yucca buds.

Rim Trail Trek

Just starting off on Rim Trail 105 this morning We decided to drive to Sunspot and hike the Rim Trail which starts near the Apache Point tur...