Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Fine Day For Bushwhacking

I love the sinuous shadows on the Tortoise
Becca and I hiked our regular route to the outer loop road, turned north on the road, then cut off into the desert about half a mile up.  We followed a deer trail, then started bushwhacking in the desert.  We stayed at it for quite a while; it's one of Becca's favorite things to do.  When we got back onto the high foothills trail we bumped into two young guys--runners--who stopped to ask if it's possible to run entirely around the mountain.  I told them "yes," gave directions, then watched them jog off happily.  I briefly recalled that endorphin high I used to get when I was running.  Ah, the good old days.  If I tried running now my body would probably fall apart.
At the extreme left a trail that leads up the mountain

Becca spots a guy hiking with his dog

Begin the beguine . . . er, bushwhacking

Getting out into the wild

No trails to speak of

Old friend that fell last year (no signs of new growth around it)

Now we're talking bushwhacking!

A small arroyo far west of Tortugas

About to turn back toward the mountain

2 1/2-foot Barrel Cactus

Heading east

Using the corridor of a major arroyo to head toward the Tortoise

Soaptree Yuccas in the arroyo

One of my favorite desert birds:  a Loggerhead Shrike

We often see this balloon hovering over the Mesilla Valley

3 comments:

Scott said...

My body wouldn't fall apart if I tried a run like that, but my right knee would be the size of a basketball by the time I got back to the car--that's for sure!

Dr. K said...

The good old days when we could all run.

packrat said...

After reading both of your comments about running I ran around the neighborhood just to prove to myself I could still do it. I just got back from picking up the pieces.

Decent Little Bushwhack

1st 4:  Claret Cups Even though the Swainson's Hawk wasn't perched atop the Torrey Yucca on the crest of 4210 hill we decided to bus...