Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veterans Day

Western slope of Tortugas
I was in a good mood when Becca and I did a moderately-long hike this morning, but my mood changed after listening to talk radio on the way back from the grocery store.  As a veteran I'm getting a little tired of hearing the phrase "Thank you for your service."  It's starting to sound like a phony bit of overcompensation.  I'd rather people actually ask veterans what their service was like; perhaps non-veterans would really learn something about what it means to serve--good and bad.

What looked at first was a 20' fallen Torrey Yucca . . .

was really a Yucca with two ten-feet trunks splayed outward
Moon and jet

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

Another annoying thing: Christmas carols so early in the season.

Scott said...

Thank you for your commentary, Packrat. I'm sometimes tempted to say "thank you for your service" to a service member, but it strikes me as a little bit phony. I'm glad to have your perspective.

I've known a few service members who have served in Vietnam and in the more recent Middle Eastern wars. I appreciate it when they share their experiences with me, but not all will. My Vietnam War vet (a good friend) won't talk about his experience (which involved injury and shrapnel that occasionally migrates from deep in his body and out to his skin even four decades later). Another veteran who worked for me never saw combat, and is more talkative of his experience. An even more recent employee who was in Afghanistan talked with a lot a bravado, but I wonder if that's covering up some terrible experiences.

packrat said...

Thanks, Scott. Really disturbing to hear about the shrapnel that still affects your good friend's health after all these years. There are a lot of veterans walking around with severe mental scars that refuse to heal. Thanking these people for their service, while nice, often falls far short of what vets really need to hear.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...