Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Across the Street

An adolescent Red-tailed Hawk in our water hole
Dr. K, Becca and I did a hike directly across Soledad Canyon Road from where we hiked last Sunday, this time on the Sierra Vista Trail.  I was trekking in a short-sleeve shirt because the weather is springlike.  The Red-tailed Hawk was in the water hole at our property, getting a quaff and looking for a quick meal.  When I tried to slip outside quietly for a better shot he took off.
Can't tell if it's male or female

Besides drinking it was definitely hunting, eyeing nearby birds

For much of the time it stood on one leg only
I like this shot (unfortunately, though, it's through a window)

Cooling its heels

Partial sunblock on the Sierra Vista Trail

The camera is level; the foothills actually slope this much

Happiest hiker of three

Lenticular clouds over the Organ Mountains


3 comments:

Dr. K said...

I think that's the closest view I've had of a red-tailed hawk. What a beautiful (and deadly) creature.

Scott said...

I love the partial sunblock image.

packrat said...

Thanks, Scott.

:)

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...