Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, February 14, 2015

I Heart Nature



Like a long bobsled run
The blog title seemed appropriate given that this is Valentine's Day.  So here's to all the people who are nature lovers--wherever you are.  There were a lot of outdoor enthusiasts around and about the mountain this morning; I'm sure they were loving the mild temperatures we've been having.  We're supposed to be near 70 F today.  (Apologies to my friend, Scott, who lives in eastern Pennsylvania where residents are experiencing a real cold snap.)
The Tortoise and the Organ Mountains

Crossing across the Crosscut Trail

Further out

Just another day at the beach

Sandy Arroyo (I dated her in high school)

I love this plump Mocking Bird (even though she's mocking me)








4 comments:

Dr. K said...

What beautiful birdsong. I'm glad that mockingbird didn't dive-bomb you the way they used to at ASU.

packrat said...

Indeed, Dr. K!

:)

Scott said...

Boy, you've got that right (about the cold snap), Packrat! It was zero degrees this morning (Sunday) when I got up at 7 a.m., and the wind was howling. I made some coffee and then got out the door to clear away two inches of snow from the bird feeders as quickly as I could; the birds showed their appreciation by immediately covering the feeder and the ground below. We're not supposed to get above freezing until next Saturday.

We've had robins around during the last week, but I wonder if this cold will drive them further south. I have no idea what they're eating. My volunteer coordinator had an American Woodcock grubbing through the sunflower seed hulls under his bird feeder last Wednesday, but the ground is frozen at least 6 inches deep, and these soil probers couldn't possibly find anything to eat.

I'm still weighing our miserable winter vs. your miserable summer... Right now, you're in the lead!

packrat said...

I'm truly sorry to hear about those weather conditions, Scott, and I worry about the poor birds grubbing for food. When I watched the Weather Channel this morning I absolutely could not believe what you people are suffering through--especially the folks in Boston and environs. Hope the cold snap snaps soon.

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...