Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

High Wind Warning

Sky at start
Becca and I got out into the desert early this morning because we were under a high wind warning, and we knew we didn't want to be out there when things got bad.  Just as we were about to finish our trek--shortly before 9:00--the wind stiffened.

I took her with me over to PetSmart in order to buy wet food and treats which I plan on sharing with her.  When I came out of the store the wind had really picked up, and by the time we reached home it was raging.

Now--slightly after 1 p.m.--it's howling.  I went out to retrieve our mail a few minutes ago and I noticed from our desert home that you can't see Tortugas Mountain nor the Organs Mountains at all; that's how bad the blowing dust is.  Sustained winds of 30-to-40 mph, with gusts of 65 mph or greater, really wreaks havoc on the normally clear desert air.
This and the next 2:  same yucca blossoms


Closeup

How White Tackstem propagates itself:  like a dandelion

Hedgehog in bloom

Fendler's Bladderpod

View along the flank of Tortugas Mountain

Becca leading the way

In the sandy section now

Taking time to . . .

. . . stop and smell the roses (you know what I mean)

Who's on the mountain trail?

Cousin Itt again

Future flowers budding on the end of Ocotillo branches

Ocotillo buds and a flowering yucca

I see an interesting somebody lurking in the shadows

He came out just so I could photograph him

A beautiful Scott's Oriole

This Ocotillo budding out along its branches has me confused

Scott says, "Enough with the photos!"

West side of Tortugas Mountain

Soaptree Yucca putting up a flower stalk (left)

A look at the tip of the Soaptree flower stalk

This and the next:  Desert Sumac


1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I love the closeup of the yucca flowers. I hope they're surviving the high winds we're enduring today.

Rim Trail Trek

Just starting off on Rim Trail 105 this morning We decided to drive to Sunspot and hike the Rim Trail which starts near the Apache Point tur...