Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, April 12, 2019

There Goes the Sun

Claret Cup Hedgehog Cactus at the base of a tall Torrey Yucca
It was in the high 40s when Becca and I set off west of Tortugas Mountain this morning, and there was no sun to speak of--only a brighter circle in an overcast sky.  I wore a vest beneath my Marmot PreCip jacket because I knew it would be chilly without sunshine.  We did a longer hike than yesterday, and we even spent a little time chatting with Pete, a super-dedicated runner who's out on the mountain trails regularly.  I say "we" chatted when everybody knows Becca is the least chatty of anyone out there.

I took some interesting images today, but it was a really bad bird day.  The Flicker I hoped to capture took off just before I snapped its picture, and the Ash-throated Flycatcher departed before I could focus on it.  Ah well--just one of those days, I guess.  Despite these setbacks both Becca and I had fun trekking around the desert on a cool morning.
This and the next 2:  closer looks at that Claret Cup


Redder in the shade

Prickly Pear pads are prepping for blossoms

The way we just came

Rainbow Hedgehog Cactus

Scott's Oriole on a pole

Every time I see these I get hungry for gnocchi

Somebody's been noshing on the Claret Cup flowers

A more intact bunch

Beauties

High foothills trail

Becca leading the way

The kind of day it is in the northern Chihuahuan Desert

Ocotillo buds and Claret Cup Hedgehog Cactus

Drat!  Took off just before I snapped it

Milky sun over the desert

Flowering Torrey Yuccas

A golf-ball-sized Devil's head with new thorns

Groundsel?

Ash-throated Flycatcher on a bad bird day

Ocotillo praising the lord

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I really like the red color of those thorns on the devil's head cactus.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...