Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Snake

The desert
Becca and I got an early start on a day that was destined to be hot.  What else can you expect in the Chihuahuan Desert in late June?  We're supposed to reach 99F this afternoon.  It definitely felt toasty while Becca and I were trekking around in the outback west of Tortugas Mountain.

There were other lunatics out and about this morning, and I counted nine cars in the Sunset Area parking lot as we were headed back in.  One delightful encounter we had was with a snake that caused Becca to do a double-take as she passed it; my first glance registered as "rattler" and I commanded Becca to "Go!"  I soon realized, however, that it wasn't a hazardous reptile--no angular head nor rattle at the end of the tail.  It was quite docile while I snapped many photos of this beautiful creature.

My first thought was "Gopher Snake," but when I carefully examined the images back home later I finally decided it was a Desert Glossy Snake.  I arrived at this conclusion upon learning that Gopher Snakes have keeled scales, that is, scales that have a ridge down the center of them; and, as you can see from these photos, this snake's scales are smooth, and, therefore, probably belong to a Glossy Snake.
Desert Marigold

To the northwest

Desert Marigold and Rain Lily seed pods

Desert Marigold and young upstart

Impatient with the photog

Desert Marigolds

Damn I'm a hot dog

Flank of Tortugas and the Organ Mountains

Fuzzy seed pods of the Creosote Bush

Ocotillos in green finery

Becca taking advantage of the shade

Same two Ocotillos

This and the next:  Chihuahuan Flax


James Rushpea

I deserve a break

Blackfoot Daisies

Look who we happened upon

About 4 feet long

Finally decided this is a Desert Glossy Snake

Thought it might be a Gopher Snake, but there are no keeled scales

Markings are similar to Gopher Snakes

An absolute beauty!

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Really striking photos of the snake, Packrat. Even harmless snakes like this one give me the creeps.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...