Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Wildly Wonderful

Fendler's Bladderpod
Becca and I got a fairly early start this morning and were able to hike a good fourth of the way in the shadow of Tortugas Mountain.  We exited into the sunlight at the point where the trail intersects the road to the mountaintop.  We remained on the trail for another eighth of a mile until we bushwacked over to Becca's favorite sandy spot where she decided to take a prolonged break.

Her respite was interrupted when I thought I saw a sneaky coyote angling past us less than thirty yards away.  As is often the case, though, when I tried to spot the critter I couldn't.

On the way back to Whitey the CR-V we bumped into our pal Jimmy, and Becca was elated to see him.  He and I talked for about twenty minutes before--realizing we couldn't suggest solutions to solve even one of the many crises facing our country--we parted ways.  It was nice to see him since it had been a long while from our last meeting.
Becca leading the way

What's that expression?

The distant Franklin Mountains near El Paso

This and the next:  Soaptree Yucca fruit


Sandy respite

Stingleaf flower

Once an Ocotillo flower

Rugged mountains

White-winged Doves

Just west of Tortugas Mountain

Meh

This and the next 2:  late-blooming Soaptree Yucca flowers


Angel flower

This and the next:  Ocotillos on the west side


What heavy runoff can do to a trail

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I love the photos of the late-blooming Soaptree Yucca flowers--really nice design.

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...