Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, December 13, 2019

At Week's End

This and the next 2:  morning moon, just less than full
While I meant to do a long hike this morning I didn't intend to bushwhack as much as I did; nevertheless, I really enjoyed being out in the middle of nowhere exploring our section of the northern Chihuahuan Desert.

Although I didn't encounter anybody out there I did see a guy hiking up the major arroyo west of the mountain with what looked to be a pack of 6 or 7 dogs.

On my way back in I ran into my pal Jimmy who was just heading up the mountain.  While we stood talking we saw several trucks driving up the mountain road, and one large SUV with at least four Pitbulls that snarled and barked at us while their owner drove past.  It occurred to me that it might have been that guy and his dogs I saw in the outback, and I hoped I wouldn't see them again.  Jimmy and I talked a good long while, discussing a wide range of topics before going our separate ways.

Although not crowded, the area on and about the mountain was populated by a good number of people, several of whom I encountered on my way to Whitey the CR-V.


A pilgrim shaved these off a yucca stalk to make a walking stick

Very little fog in the Mesilla Valley this morning

Across the Chihuahuan Desert

Torrey Yuccas standing guard over the chasm

Barrel Cacti, Creosote Bush, Mormon Tea, Soaptree Yuccas & Torrey Yuccas

This ancient Torrey Yucca is over 20 feet tall

Chihuahuan Desert flora along an arroyo on the mountain's west side

This and the next:  heading the other way down the arroyo


Probably a Coyote print

Confronted by a crazed yucca

This and the next:  Soaptree Yuccas


Barrel Cactus and Prickly Pear

Another long view of the Organ Mountains

Distant view of Tortugas Mountain (left) and the Organ Mountains

Large Nipple Beehive Cactus at the base of a Creosote Bush

Loggerhead Shrike on an Ocotillo branch

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I got a kick out of the photo of the crazed yucca.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...