Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, December 23, 2019

It's the Woodpecker Show

This and the next 4:  young 4-point Mule Deer buck
The Ladder-backed Woodpecker I came across toward the end of this morning's trek might be the star of the show, but the young Mule Deer buck I encountered early on in the high foothills certainly would win best supporting actor.  He may be the same lone buck I've kicked up before, and he didn't seem too worried about my presence; but he didn't stick around for very long, either, as he steadily made progress away from me heading from north to south along the mountain's western slope.

 Right after I discovered the woodpecker and stood for ten minutes photographing him and making a short video I saw the only other outdoor enthusiasts I'd see this morning, a man and woman wending their way back to the Sunset Area parking lot.  There were other vehicles parked along the entrance road, including Jimmy's truck, though I didn't see Jimmy out there today.




Mule Deer buck crossed left-to-right in the image's center

Trail down from the foothills

Ocotillos and a Torrey Yucca west of Tortugas Mountain

This and the next:  Soaptree Yuccas


Further west of the mountain

Mule Deer print, miles away from where I encountered the buck

Trail to the sun

This and the next 5:  same male Ladder-backed Woodpecker






Statuesque Torrey Yucca

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Such good photos of the mule deer and the ladderback woodpecker. My favorite photo is "Trail Down From the Foothills." A lot of good photos today, Packrat.

The Wilster and Me

Organ Mountains from Baylor Canyon Road We had to wait for a plumber from Sun City Plumbing to change out the hose bib next to the garage; f...