Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, December 6, 2019

Great Horned Owl Caper

Sky at start
I was bushwhacking way out west of Tortugas Mountain when I crossed over a ridge and spooked a Great Horned Owl from its perch in a Soaptree Yucca.  I watched its flight down the slope of a hill and saw it land in a tree-lined section of the major arroyo that runs out of the mountains.

I immediately followed the owl's flight track hoping I might locate it and get some decent photos.  No such luck.  Despite bushwhacking through the desert paralleling the arroyo I couldn't find the raptor, and when I brazenly trekked back and forth through the wash I didn't even manage to kick it up again.  I'm sure it was watching my futile efforts with an amused smile on its face.

What I did get for my search was the discovery that I'd gone way down that arroyo and had quite a return trip ahead of me.  Good thing the weather had warmed nicely from a chilly (38F) and windy start, and I was able to remove one layer of outerwear on the way back in.
Geothermal Road

This and the next:  House Finch on yucca bayonet


Black-tailed Jackrabbit turning its back on me

How many desert plants can you name?

In an arroyo west of Tortugas

Distant view of the Organ Mountains

Even more distant view of the Organs

In a major arroyo way out west

Same arroyo

Same Soaptree Yucca

One of the widest arroyos in this section of the desert

Obviously, mountain bikers have ridden through here

Tall Soaptree

Closer in to Tortugas

Soaptree Yucca stalks

Flank of Tortugas and the Organs

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I really like the photo you captioned "Distant View of the Organ Mountains."

The Low High Country

Morning sky Dr. K, Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, headed back home and finished packing for our trip to the high country, w...