Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Cold Weather Scare

Hedgehog Cactus
20F with an 11F wind chill when I watched the morning weather report on TV.  An hour or so later when I set off for Tortugas Mountain the temperature had warmed to 24F.  Those conditions probably accounted for the absence of any other outdoor enthusiasts by the time I reached my destination.  No vehicles in the Sunset Area lot and none parked along the entrance road where I left Whitey the CR-V.

It felt cold starting off, but the wind had abated and the sun was shining brightly.  About halfway through the trek I was able to lower the hood on my coat, remove my ear band and take off my gloves.  Never even felt chilled after that.

Put a lot of mileage on my boots today, much of it spent bushwhacking far west and just west of the mountain where I saw absolutely nobody.  Didn't see anyone on my way back in, either, and there were just two vehicles in the Sunset Area parking lot and two parked behind me when I returned to Whitey.
Soaptree Yuccas and Ocotillos west of the mountain

Cooper's Hawk

Not a pineapple, but a Hedgehog Cactus with a Soaptree Yucca hairpiece

Telephoto squash

This and the next 6:  same old Soaptree Yucca







This and the next 3:  Torrey Yuccas




This and the next:  wide arroyo west of Tortugas Mountain


This and the next 2:  Yuccas and the Organ Mountains



This and the next 2:  looking southwest across the Chihuahuan Desert



Delicious Barrel Cactus fruit

Really tall Ocotillo and Soaptree Yuccas

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I like the 7 different views of the same Soaptree Yucca.

Rim Trail Trek

Just starting off on Rim Trail 105 this morning We decided to drive to Sunspot and hike the Rim Trail which starts near the Apache Point tur...