Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, March 24, 2014

Flies Completely Ruined Our Hike

Aw.  Two hikers (holding hands) trekking with their dog
In the long annals of our trekking history I cannot remember a worse morning for pesky flies.  They were horrible.  Terrorists flies.  Al Flyda.  Often I'll laugh at Becca's antics in fly-catching, how she snaps at them and every once in a while spits one out when nabbing it.  But today they were all over us, landing on noses, ears, mouths, arms and legs.  I killed at least ten of them--and I'm something of a pacifist.  But the situation today was intolerable.  I'm not sure how to explain this phenomenon, but I hope it doesn't persist.
Just beginning the process of blooming

A flower stalk in mid-blossom

Tripartite Torrey Yucca

Soaptree Yuccas, Tortugas Mountain in background

Torrey Yucca (left), Soaptree Yucca (right)

Bushwhacking for fun and profit

A healthy Barrel Cactus

Pencil Cholla

On the trail back to the foothills

4 comments:

Scott said...

Were the flies biting flies or just overwhelmingly annoying, Packrat?

packrat said...

No bites, Scott, but totally annoying. The university does have a horse corral out this way, but it's several miles distant.

Dr. K said...

Packrat, I wish you could make a video of Becca snapping at the flies.

packrat said...

Your wish is my command, Dr. K, though I'd rather have no flies for her to snap at.

:)

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...