Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

School's in Session

Students studying to be linemen
Lineman school, that is.  There were quite a large number of students and trainers out by the mountain this morning, all working in the really rotten air--some of the worst I've seen in years.  I'm not sure what was causing it; none of the local meteorologists mentioned it in their forecasts.  I'll have to pay attention later to see if anyone mentions the cause.  I think the last time we had air this bad was when a major forest fire was raging in the Gila National Forest; but you could smell the smoke then.  We smelled nothing this morning.
Looks like a large class

Working on poles in the middle of nowhere

Some of the worst air I've seen in years (the Organ Mts. are back there)

Dusty respite





Beyond Tortugas the Organ Mountains are obscurred


Large butterfly with odd center markings

2 comments:

packrat said...

I was so concerned about how bad the air is today that I called the New Mexico Environmental Department in Las Cruces and talked to a representative there. He told me that the cold front which blew in from the east had very heavy winds behind it, and that the pollution was dust from the plains: eastern New Mexico, West Texas, Colorado and even Kansas. He said the dust looked very "milky" because the dirt in the plains is much lighter in color than our local dirt. I hope this stuff gets out of here soon because it looks horrible and has even given me a slight headache.

Dr. K said...

It's amazing that you couldn't even see the Organ mountains because of the dust.

Views from the Grand View

Sacramentos We did the Grand View Trail this morning, surprised that nobody else was there on a Sunday morning.  We hiked the entire first l...