Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, October 24, 2016

Butterfly Research

Should I run?
I love seeing butterflies out in the desert, but I don't specifically go looking for them.  If I get a good image of one, though, I'll do my best to identify it, either by examining one of my books on insects of the Desert Southwest or consulting various websites.  I've seen the butterfly pictured below several times, but I never imagined it was called a Common Buckeye.  What's so common about it, I wonder.
Early start

Down to the sunshine

High desert

Immersed in the grassland

Odd place to take a nap

Why is it an odd place?

Down the arroyo

Shadow and light

Which weed?

More high desert

Absolutely no idea what this is

Don't recognize this

Just went of Tortugas

Stingleaf flowers

Common Buckeye on a Stingleaf flower

Can't get enough of the Stingleaf (Cevallia sinuata)

Same Stingleaf flowers in pastel

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

The Common Buckeye butterfly is anything but common. Beautiful photo.

Views from the Grand View

Sacramentos We did the Grand View Trail this morning, surprised that nobody else was there on a Sunday morning.  We hiked the entire first l...