Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Bushwhacking with New Boots

Just after 7 a.m. on the trail west of Tortugas Mountain
I did a moderately-long hike west of Tortugas Mountain this morning, and the temperature was cool enough for me to keep a lightweight jacket on for the duration of the trek.  Had a few encounters with joggers closer in to the mountain and I saw several people walking dogs.  The parking lot was quite full when I got back, as was the area to the side of the entrance road where I always park my car--not surprising on such a beautiful morning in the Chihuahuan Desert.
Clouds angling away in the distance

Hedgehog Cactus and Agaves

Closer look at the Agaves

Rosette pattern of spiny leaves

The Agave is not a cactus

White-winged Dove on an Ocotillo wand

Same White-winged Dove, different perspective

Soaptree Yucca seed pods

Distant, flat horizon

Soaptree Yucca and Ocotillos

Curve-billed Thrasher atop a yucca

Mountainous horizon

You can tell it's a Canid by the nail impressions

In a small arroyo west of Tortugas

Paperflowers still flowering

Keen on my new Keen boots

These yuccas always remind me of Apache crown dancers

Fruit of the Cholla cactus


1 comment:

Dr. K said...

That's an unusual perspective on the white-winged dove turning its head; it has an almost human look on its face. Or maybe I'm just nuts.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...