Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Short Hike, Long Chat

First 5 images are of the cactus garden in the high foothills
I had to run errands this morning so I shortened my hike significantly.  On the way back I ran into my buddy Jimmy, and we talked for about twenty minutes.  We made a point, however, of not discussing today's presidential election at any real length--just commented on how nutty the whole process has been.  I won't waste any time on my nature blog ranting about our political system; suffice it to say, however, I'm not very happy about the condition of our "democracy."
Quite a collection of Hedgehog Cacti

Got some Prickly Pears and Ocotillos, too

These Hedgehogs are Strawberry Pitaya Cactus

In the spring they're covered with strawberry-colored flowers

Closer look at a Hedgehog in the lower desert

Looking down on a Soaptree Yucca

Leafless Ocotillo

Most Ocotillos have lost all their leaves

Small arroyo west of Tortugas

Appropriately named Allthorn

Becca making sure she gets every last ChewLotta crumb

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

The photo of the allthorn really shows that this is a plant that can do some damage to a person or animal wandering by.

Rim Trail Trek

Just starting off on Rim Trail 105 this morning We decided to drive to Sunspot and hike the Rim Trail which starts near the Apache Point tur...