Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Lonely Hike

Large arroyo on Tortugas Mountain's north side
I took a long, lonely hike out of Tortugas Mountain's Monte Vista area this morning, and the only people I saw were a mountain biker near the trailhead as I started off and a man, woman, infant child together with two Siberian Huskies when I was almost finished with my trek.  I say "lonely hike" because Becca is on day 3 (of 10) of her hiatus from hiking due to a sprained right leg, and Dr. K stayed behind at home with the Beckster to keep her from being too sad.  It's still fun hiking in the Chihuahuan Desert, but not even a tenth as much fun as when my companions are along for the trek.
Northern slope of the mountain

Yuccas on the southeast slope

I'm guessing Lesser Goldfinch

Yuccas on steep southern flank

Rock shelter probably used by miners on Tortugas Mountain

Flank of Tortugas and the Organ Mountains

Top half of a huge Torrey Yucca

From here I headed east to link up with the dirt road at the mountain's base

Fog bank at the base of the Organs

Large arroyo west of Tortugas, still muddy from recent rain

Arroyo mud

Headed back that way

Sandy arroyo mud

Small arroyo still muddy from heavy rains

From here the trail bends due east

Hedgehog Cactus, Ocotillos, Torrey Yuccas and the Organ Mountains

Desert Cottontail with a really "cottony" tail

We'll be curving around that flank at left soon

Mountains and fog

Stand of yuccas in the vast Chihuahuan Desert

Out of commission for seven more days



1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I like seeing how the mud in the arroyos seem to be carving out new trails.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...