Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Cool Saturday Morn

Becca on the upper foothills trail
I could have used a jacket and light gloves this morning when Becca and I hit the trail west of Tortugas Mountain; it was 53F with a steady wind.  Fortunately I had donned a long-sleeve Craghoppers shirt that kept me relatively warm.  As soon as we broke into the sun conditions warmed, and I didn't feel the chill again.  There were quite a few outdoor enthusiasts on and about the mountain so Becca and I extended our trek a few miles by heading into the area I call the "outback."  It was a good choice because we came across a Lesser Nighthawk having a morning sun bath.  If it hadn't taken flight and landed ten feet away I would never have seen it--as is evident from the first photo of the bird below.
Looking up at the mountain from the high foothills

View of Tortugas from the lower foothills


Still a ways to go to reach the lower desert

A glimpse back at the mountain from the low foothills

The long road west

Desert Marigolds will soon be gone

Becca on the Crosscut Trail

See the Nightjar?

Nightjar, aka "Lesser Nighthawk"

In a large arroyo just west of Tortugas Mountain

Headed back toward the mountain in the arroyo

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I can tell by a couple of these photos that parts of the arroyo got torn up by the recent downpour.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...