Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, September 6, 2019

A Special Effort

This and the next 2:  Sacred Datura at our place
I ended up going a lot further than I planned to go this morning; my intention was to sprinkle some of Becca's ashes in a favorite arroyo she and I loved to explore.  Finding myself there I realized I was in the mood to bushwhack out of the arroyo and up onto a ridge far west of Tortugas.

Becca and I would follow a deer trail east along this ridge all the way back to the outer loop road closer in to the mountain, which is exactly what I did, stopping to sprinkle her ashes at various spots along the way.  I'm sure people would think me deranged to be carrying ashes to dump all over the desert, but it's a necessary form of self-torture I must endure.  After taking well over 4200 hikes together I feel obligated to carry her with me on these desert treks while I grieve her loss.

On my final leg I ran into my pal Jimmy, who was on the first leg of his hike to the mountaintop.  He and I stood in the blazing sun talking for a long while before eventually parting ways.  It's always a real pleasure running into him.


This and the next 4:  sky at start





This and the next:  exploring an arroyo Becca loved


Desert Marigolds

Soaptree Yucca stalks

This and the next 4:  Ladder-backed Woodpecker in a Soaptree Yucca stalk





A special place where I spread some of Becca's ashes

Flank of Tortugas (left) and the Organ Mountains

Ocotillos and the Organs

Signs of autumn in Ocotillo leaves

Ocotillos west of Tortugas Mountain

Sun through Buggy Whips (aka "Ocotillos")

Smudged clouds

My buddy the Jackrabbit

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Really nice photos of the ladder back woodpecker on the yucca stalk, Packrat.

Becca is always with us in spirit.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...