Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, September 13, 2019

Cutting It Down a Bit

This and the next:  sky at start
I made a conscious effort not to trek as far as I did the past two days, although I still hiked quite a ways this morning west of Tortugas Mountain.  I didn't see many people out there today, but I did run into Renee and his dog Rayo on the way back in.  They were on the foothills trail that crosses the western flank of the mountain.

I asked Renee about how to spell his dog's name, and he told me that it was "Rayo," a Spanish word that means "ray."  His wife gave Rayo that name because of the white stripe in the middle of his chest.  Rayo is almost all black, and a very nice dog.  He let me pet him before he sought out a spot in the shade.  Renee and I talked for a brief while before the three of us parted company.

We have a good chance for rain this afternoon, and while I was hiking this a.m. I could actually feel the humidity begin to move in.  Hot and humid make for uncomfortable trekking in the northern Chihuahuan Desert.

The spot Becca loved


Dayflower

This and the next:  views from within a large arroyo west of the mountain


Las flores

Ocotillos and the Organs

Partly made of quartz

Who's that I see in the distance?

Mr. Red-tailed Hawk

He soon tired of me and . . .

. . . flew away

Say's Phoebe

Closing in on Tortugas

Ocotillo leaves showing their age

This and the next:  Soaptree Yuccas


Ocotillos

Blackfoot Daisies

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful photos of the Red-Tailed Hawk--a very majestic bird.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...