Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Xtra-Long Trek

South side of the New Trail
I spent over 2 1/2 hours hiking in the desert west of Tortugas Mountain this morning, heading into areas I haven't been in quite a while due to Becca's deteriorating physical condition over the last year of her life.  These were places, though, that she and I had frequented often, and I couldn't help but picture her everywhere, recalling the spots she liked to explore.

I ran into four or five people closer into the mountain, including a very nice married couple--Barry and Renee--whose names I learned just a few weeks ago after years of seeing them both hiking with their German Shepherd, Kaiser, west of Tortugas.  I introduced myself the day they asked about Becca, and I had to tell them the sad news of her demise.  The other people whose paths I crossed were mountain bikers and runners, all of whom said hello.

Back at the Sunset Area I saw my buddy Jimmy's truck parked in the same area as my Jeep, but I didn't see Jimmy; pretty certain, though, that he was well on his way to the mountaintop.
Looking southwest from the New Trail

What is it about a long dirt road across the desert?

Heading up a hill west of Tortugas Mountain

A tangle of Ocotillos

Closer look at that tangle

Mountain biker in the Chihuahuan Desert

Spent Soaptree Yucca seed pod

This and the next:  same Barrel Cactus


Ocotillo, Tortugas and the Organ Mountains

Large Soaptree Yucca

Very wide arroyo

Into the sun

Headed for the mountaintop

This and the next:  Loggerhead Shrike


Torrey Yucca comb-over

This and the next 3:  Scott's Oriole grooming itself




This and the next 2:  Turkey Vulture riding a thermal



1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Nice photos of the Scott's Oriole, Packrat. What a beautiful bird.

Views from the Grand View

Sacramentos We did the Grand View Trail this morning, surprised that nobody else was there on a Sunday morning.  We hiked the entire first l...